When your alarm activates it rings your mobile phone or landline number and when the phone is answered you will receive a voice message telling you the cause and time of alarm etc.
The advantages of this type of monitoring are:
- There is no yearly fee to be paid to the monitoring station.
- The first person to answer the call can stop the message from being sent to the other numbers.
- Your phone will ring as opposed to the beep of a text message.
The disadvantages of this type of monitoring system:
- Your insurance company will not give you a discount for this type of monitoring as it is not a recognised form of alarm monitoring as per EN50131 standards definition of an Alarm Transmission System.
- In the event of a panic button being pressed you will not get garda response. Picture the situation, you press the panic button, you get a call to your own phone, your partner left his phone in the car, and your third persons battery is dead and so on.......You can see why a monitoring station would be a better option in this case.
- This unit will not self test nightly. You should test this unit weekly to ensure it is in good working order.